Organization: The Moving Crew
Project: What’s Inside?
A collective project by The Moving Crew What’s Inside? uses the motif of the international shipping container as a platform for cross-cultural and creative exchange between the Midwestern United States and Rijeka, Croatia.
We will stack 1800 cardboard boxes to form a volume of one big shipping container.
Dimensions of each box are 20’ x 8.5‘x 8’ in inches, or 50.8 x 21.59 x 20.32 in centimeters. Please see box diagram below.
Intermodal Shipping Containers are 8.5 X 20 X 8 feet:
The Moving Crew will silkscreen each box to transform it into a small sized container.
We ask you to invent the logo or company identity, which will be printed on them. The company identities can be fictional or not, but should reference shipping companies to whom those containers belong.
DESIGN SMALL SHIPPING CONTAINERS WHICH WILL BE STACKED TOGETHER INTO ONE REAL-SIZE CONTAINER:
You may submit separate images in any or all of the 3 categories.
1) Company Identity / Logo (for this project we hope to receive submissions of logos which could communicate various statements about the shipping companies)
2) Graffiti (containers collect various graffiti while traveling across the globe. Leave your graffiti messages for the container design)
3) Surface (ie. barcodes and numbers, rust and damage, barnacles, hinges and latches, texture, etc?)
The Moving Crew will print your single color images on multiple colored backgrounds. The surfaces of these boxes are collaborative. Each box printed with your image may also contain other images. (I.e. your company identity may be printed with rust, a barcode, and graffiti from another artist.)
We will take your digital files and convert them to film. This film will then be used to create a silkscreen of your image. The Moving Crew will hold community screen printing workshops throughout the midwestern United States and Rijeka Croatia to create 1800 miniature shpping containers. These containers will be the primary object in the What’s Inside? exhibition.
Send the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) JPG, Ilustrator or Photoshop files. Since our exposure process requires a decisvely opaque black image, anything that is more nuanced will be filtered to translate a continious tone into ‘yes or no’ information. This will be done using Photoshop with one of the following filters: halftone, bitmap, diffusion dither, threshold, posterization etc. If you have questions about this please email: email@example.com
2) Your Image IN BLACK ONLY composed within a 20’ X 8.5’ or 8’ X 8.5’ canvas (in centimeters: 50.8 x 21.59 or 20.32 x 21.59)
3) Image Resolution: 300 DPI
4) Images must be labeled with your name and the category you are submitting in. For instance if Sarah Jones is submitting an image of Graffiti her image file is called: S_Jones_Graffiti
5) Your Full Name, Address, Email and Phone Number so that we can get in touch with you and send you a catalog.
In submitting to this exhibition you are agreeing to have your design printed in tandem with the designs of other artists. You are agreeing to show your work at Molekula in Rijeka Croatia, and at the Faulconer Gallery, Grinnell IA USA. You will not receive your printed boxes at the end of the show, they will remain the property of The Moving Crew. If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
via TheMovingCrew :: WeAreShipping.